Bike Works, based in SE Seattle since 1996, promotes the bicycle as a vehicle for change to empower youth and build resilient communities. Our programs and services invest in young people and encourage bicycling through a community of adult volunteers. Our programs include Earn-a-Bike and weekly riding programs for youth, job readiness training, summer bike camps, a community bike shop, bike giveaway programs for youth and adults with limited resources, as well adult classes and weekly volunteer opportunities. Our bike shop serves a large customer base with used bike sales, affordable repairs, and new and used parts and accessories. Each year over 1,700 youth participate in our programs and gain the skills and resources they need to translate lessons about confidence and leadership into their own lives. We also take in over 7,500 bicycle donations annually and redistribute these bikes to youth and adults in Seattle and beyond through our programs and bike shop. We are committed to continued learning and improvement, with a focus on social justice and racial equity. We value and seek diverse team members who are passionate, innovative, collaborative, professional, fun, responsible, and solutions-oriented.
Conditions of Employment
Bike Works is an equal opportunity employer committed to assembling a diverse and talented staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, Bike Works does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or marital status. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Bike Works Program Coordinator works with the Programs Team to run our youth and adult programs. This role includes teaching bike repair classes, running bike rides and safety rodeos, and maintaining outreach and redistribution of bicycles to the community. Each day will be a blend of these tasks within a team of four, requiring both collaboration and independence. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who loves to ride bikes and has youth and adult mentoring/teaching experience.
Priority will be given to candidates who currently live in Seattle.
People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Bike Works is an Equal Opportunity and queer-friendly employer.
Essential Job Functions:
- Works independently, or with the programs team, to run programs. Includes bike repair classes, bike riding clubs, bike giveaways, summer camps, BikeMobile services, and all community partnerships.
- Maintains outreach efforts for programs by calling, emailing and visiting contacts on a quarterly basis.
- Updates registrations, database, class documents, and calendars as needed.
- Coordinates bike storage and bike needs for various programs.
- Maintains classroom environments; cleans and restocks spaces weekly.
Compensation: $32,500 to $37,500 DOE
Plus full benefits including: employer sponsored health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 12 days of vacation to start (one day each additional year of work); paid organization-wide recess from 12/25 to 1/1 every year; reimbursement for mileage when using bike for work; 10 days sick leave, short and long term disability; employer matching contributions to retirement account; all products in our bike shop and catalog at cost (including new bikes and parts); $250 towards yearly training (outside of all training necessary for the job); casual dress code for work.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Experienced bike rider, ability to bicycle long distances is required; bike touring experience preferred.
- Ability to teach in an engaging and challenging manner, prior experience teaching/mentoring within youth programming is required.
- Knowledge of bike mechanics is required; prior experience as a mechanic is preferred.
- Understanding of social justice and awareness of privilege is required.
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks is required.
- Capacity to work on a computer and complete paperwork and database work is required.
- Driver’s license; ability to pass a driving record check & drive large vehicles (vans, trucks) is required.
- General work schedule is 10am-6:30pm Tuesday through Saturday; workdays shift to Monday through Friday in the summer, with some variations.
Who We Are:
- collaborative team players
- passionate educators
- bike riders, bike mechanics
- social justice activists
- energetic and hard workers who manage time and risk
- self-starters with growth mindsets
- personable and humorous
How to Apply:
Email your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Applications accepted on a rolling basis; Position open until filled.
Contract Grant Writer
The contract gran twriter contributes to Bike Works’ funding by drafting grant proposals, reports, and letters of inquiry on a rolling basis. This position reports to the Executive Director, who supports the grant writing process with documentation and edits.
- Draft grant proposals, reports, and letters of inquiry.
- Maintain a calendar to track submission deadlines.
- Support the Development Team’s prospecting efforts to identify new funding opportunities.
- At least 2 years of grant writing experience.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- A working knowledge of the nonprofit grant landscape.
- Discretion in handling confidential material.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
$30 to $50 per hour, depending on experience. This position requires approximately 5 to 8 hours per week for the current grant workload.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com.
Bike Valet Parking Manager & Assistants
Bike Works is hiring a temporary, seasonal positions to manage and assist our Bike Valet services at the Seattle Sounders Matches from April 22 to August 18th.
The Bike Valet Parking Manager is responsible for loading bike racks into the Bike Works van and driving to the Century Link Field parking lot.
Duties at the Sounders Games include:
- Setting up Bike Corral with the Bike Racks.
- Managing other staff and volunteers.
- Providing good customer service to cyclists as they drop off and retrieve their bicycles.
- Representing Bike Works in the community.
Must be available to work the following game days: 4/22, 5/5, 5/26, 6/9, 6/23, 6/30, 7/21, 7/29, 8/12, 8/18.