Tilth Alliance works in community with Washington farmers, gardeners and eaters to build a sustainable, healthy and equitable food future. Through our work we endeavor to promote and support the adoption of organic, regenerative, sustainable growing practices by farmers and gardeners throughout Washington; to make the food produced by these farmers and gardeners more accessible; and to inspire people to enjoy growing, cooking, and eating food that is both good for them, for their communities, and for the environment. The primary strategies we employ in this effort are advocacy, education and collaboration. Equity, inclusion and the promotion of a culture of anti-oppression are important outcomes expected of all the work we do.
This position involves coordinating environmental stewardship and education activities at Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands, with a focus on community-based wetlands restoration, environmental volunteer training programs and environmental service learning, school field trips and other programs for youth.
This position will report to the Community Education Program Director and work closely with other staff at the farm. It will be part of the Community Education Team at Tilth Alliance, which engages youth, adults and families in hands-on classes, volunteer and other learning opportunities in Seattle and King County, around growing food, environmental stewardship, and cooking and sharing food.
• Coordinate wetlands restoration and related land management tasks at Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands (40%): o Contribute to and implement an annual wetlands management plan o Support volunteers and community members in restoration and stewardship activities, working with specific community groups, general volunteers, seniors and youth o Track and report on program activities
• Support environmental educational programs (40%): o Develop educational signage, self-guided activities and other onsite educational features o Support a countywide Soil and Water Stewardship training program, including curriculum development and volunteer coordination o Assist in developing and leading environmental service learning and field trips for students
• Support other land management and educational activities as needed, such as food production, youth summer camps, site tours, volunteer events and other programs (10%)
• Attend staff meetings, speak publicly on behalf of Tilth Alliance, and support events and other duties related to being a member of the Tilth Alliance staff (5%)
• Contribute to an inclusive working environment for staff, volunteers and partners and advance equity and inclusion in the organization and in community partnerships (5%) The job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment. Tilth Alliance reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and experience required.
Desired Qualifications and Attributes:
• Passion for building a healthy food community
• Strong preference for experience working with community members, students and organizations in Rainier Beach or other community-based settings
• Background in ecosystem restoration and related topics, such as gardening, farming, environmental restoration, cooking and nutrition, environmental justice, food justice, etc.
• Creativity and experience in developing, coordinating and delivering educational programs for adults and youth • Experience training, coordinating, and leading volunteers and interns • Ability to speak languages other than English • Demonstrated commitment to advance justice, equity, diversity and inclusion
• Demonstrated ability and success working with people from a variety of racial, cultural and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles and sexual orientations
• Self-directed and able to work independently as well as with a team
• Ability to work on a variety of projects that may change based on community need, funding availability and organizational priority • Able to work some evenings and weekends
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Salesforce applications
• Able to transport self and materials to locations throughout Seattle and King County
• Ability to lift 30 pounds
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. The typical work week will be Monday-Friday, with occasional weekends and weeknights, and the opportunity for flexible scheduling. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401K, paid time-off and sick leave. This position is based at Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands in South Seattle. Annual compensation is $42,120.
Please submit a cover letter and a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, with those received by March 26 given initial preference.
Tilth Alliance is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to cultivating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that diversity is essential to achieving our mission. Tilth Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Women, people of color, and individuals from under-represented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.