RBAC's mission is to implement the Rainier Beach Neighborhood Plan, build a connected, sustainable, equitable community. Promote the “made in Rainier Beach”, quality education, living wage jobs, affordable transportation, housing for all, a safe place where people thrive, a neighborhood the world calls home.
Description of Work
Under the supervision of the RBAC Food Innovation District Strategist, to develop and implement a weekly Farm Stand and associated Food Hub activities. Food Hub Manager will be responsible for:
- The Rainier Beach Farm Stand is operating weekly out of the Ethiopian Community in Seattle (ECS) from June-October
- 5 Fellows are trained, plan and staff the weekly Farm Stand
- King County farmers (primarily led by POC) are supported and promoted
- Rainier Beach residents have access to fresh, affordable, culturally relevant and healthy Food
- Seniors and other community members benefit from associated programming like meals and cooking classes
- Implementation of the Rainier Beach Neighborhood Farm Stand
- Compliance to all applicable codes, permits and regulations
- Management of farm stand logistics including coordination with ECS, produce sourcing, transportation, sales and marketing, and disposal of any produce left at the end of the market day
- Supervision of 5 farm stand fellows
- Administer grant requirements, invoicing, reporting and data collection
- Identify farmers needs and food system’s gaps (available arable land, seed/starter plants, aggregation space, cold storage, new sales outlets)
- Develop strategies to address food system challenges and policy change opportunities
- Work with supervisor and Farm Stand project team to establish farm stand operations
- Coordinate, plan and facilitate project meetings as necessary
- Oversee Farm Stand logistics, supervising fellows and coordinating with farmers
- Work alongside the Food Justice Organizer, tasked with the Fellows leadership development, and the Food Innovation Center Director in establishing FIC partnerships and operational strategies.
- Increase in youth participation in structured activities after-school hours.
- Increased health issues awareness and culturally relevant resources available
- Increased healthy food-oriented activities and cultural celebrations.
- Increased local training, employment and entrepreneurship opportunities.
- Improvement in local food system infrastructure.
- Responsible for hiring, training and supervising of Farm Stand Fellows. The manager should instruct the fellows in what the farm has to offer and instill in them excellent customer service skills.
- Communicate with RBAC, ECS and other partners regarding all processes from beginning to end.
- Oversee the ordering, procuring, and maintaining of inventory for the farm stand and communicates with educators and fellows regarding what they need to order for product.
- Understands and maintains effective relationship with vendors, Seattle-King County Public Health and all permitting processes.
- Understands what is selling and what is not through analyzing and interpreting sales reports.
- Responsible for bringing in new items to increase sales and cutting items that do not sell. Communicates with the Farmers in regard to what will be available for sale.
- Maintain produce per Farmers’ standards.
- Develop a targeted marketing strategy to ensure that communities of color benefit from the Farm Stand
- Market items available at the Farm Stand by creating signage and posting on social media and outside ECS.
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the Farm Stand, including the immediate environs
- Have direct relationship to South Seattle, ideally Rainier Beach
- Have demonstrated project management & leadership skills
- Experience with sales. Familiarity with Microsoft Office and a POS system required
- Have demonstrated accounting and grant management experience
- Have demonstrated ability working with community leaders, funders, and Government authorities
- Have demonstrated ability to work creatively towards a shared goal
- Prior experience with a CSA and growing a wide variety of vegetables welcome
- Supporter of sustainable practices
- Knowledge and love of cooking a plus
- A friendly personality
- Time-management skills and ability to work under pressure
- Ability to deal with multiple youth and cultures while providing a fun, cultural, and diverse environment,
- Must be able to follow the lead from the youth, when youth are participating in group dynamics, advisory committees and other community activities.
- Ability to delegate and manage a team of co-workers.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including one weekend day per week
- Ability to repeatedly lift 50lbs throughout the day and work on your feet