Description of Work
Rainier Beach is home to several food gardens and Farm Stands. Under the supervision of the RBAC Food Innovation District Strategist, to plant and maintain RBAC’s multiple garden locations and plan and implement the seasonal weekly Farm Stand produce distribution. The Garden & Farm Stand Manager will be responsible for:
- The Rainier Beach Farm Stand is operating weekly from June-October
- Food Justice Fellows are prepared, upkeep the gardens and staff the weekly Farm Stand
- King County farmers (primarily led by POC) are supported and promoted
- Rainier Beach residents have access to fresh, affordable, culturally relevant and healthy Food
- Community members benefit from associated programming like meals and cooking classes
- Management of RBAC Gardens
- Implementation of the Rainier Beach Neighborhood Farm Stand
- Management of farm stand logistics including coordination with partners, produce sourcing, transportation, outreach and marketing
- Supervision and engagement of Food Justice Fellows
- Administer grant requirements, invoicing, reporting and data collection
- Identify farmers needs and food system’s gaps (available arable land, seed/starter plants, aggregation space, cold storage, new sales outlets)
- Develop strategies to address food system challenges and policy change opportunities, especially through COVID-19
- Work with supervisor and Farm Stand team to establish garden and farm stand operations
- Coordinate, plan and facilitate project meetings as necessary
- Oversee Garden & Farm Stand logistics, supervising fellows and coordinating with farmers.
- Work alongside the Food Justice Fellows in establishing and sustaining partnerships.
- Increase in youth participation in structured activities after-school hours.
- Increased health issues awareness and culturally relevant resources available.
- Increased healthy food-oriented activities and cultural celebrations.
- Improvement in local food system infrastructure.
- Responsible for engaging and supervising the Food Justice Fellows, scheduling and planning activities as necessary. The manager should instruct the fellows in what the farm has to offer and instill in them excellent customer service skills.
- Oversee the ordering, procuring, and maintaining of inventory for garden and farm stand.
- Understand Farm Stand patrons’ preferences through analyzing and interpreting ordering reports. Responsible for communicating with Farmers in order to increase sales and review options for items that are less in demand.
- Maintain produce per Farmers’ standards, including setting up cold storage.
- Communicate with RBAC and other partners regarding all processes from beginning to end.
- Develop a targeted marketing strategy to ensure that communities of color benefit from the Farm Stand
- Market items/services available by creating signage and posting on social media.
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of the garden and Farm Stand, including the immediate environs
- Have direct relationship to South Seattle, ideally Rainier Beach
- Have demonstrated project management & leadership skills
- Have demonstrated accounting and grant management experience
- Have demonstrated ability working with community leaders, funders, and Government authorities
- Have demonstrated ability to work creatively towards a shared goal
- Prior experience growing a wide variety of vegetables & supporter of sustainable practices
- Knowledge and love of cooking a plus
- A friendly personality
- Time-management skills and ability to work under pressure
- Ability to deal with multiple youth and cultures while providing a fun, cultural, and diverse environment
- Must be able to follow the lead from the youth, when youth are participating in group dynamics, advisory committees and other community activities.
- Ability to delegate and manage a team of co-workers.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends
- Ability to repeatedly lift 30lbs throughout the day and work on your feet
Please send your resume together with a cover letter explaining how you would contribute to positive change in Rainier Beach to email@example.com