Tilth Alliance works in community with Washington farmers, gardeners and eaters to build a sustainable, healthy and equitable food future. Through our work we endeavor to promote and support the adoption of organic, regenerative, sustainable growing practices by farmers and gardeners throughout Washington; to make the food produced by these farmers and gardeners more accessible; and to inspire people to enjoy growing, cooking, and eating food that is both good for them, for their communities, and for the environment. The primary strategies we employ in this effort are advocacy, education and collaboration. Equity, inclusion and the promotion of a culture of anti-oppression are important outcomes expected of all the work we do.
Tilth Alliance is looking for someone with a passion for a healthy and just food community in Rainier Beach. This position will be responsible for managing the operations of the Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands (RBUFW) site to ensure it serves the needs and requirements of the Rainier Beach community, Tilth Alliance staff and programming and the Seattle Department of Parks and Recreation.
Responsibilities will include:
- Developing and monitoring a budget for RBUFW Operations and Maintenance
- Oversee maintenance of site grounds including mowing, weeding and weed-whacking, pruning,invasive removal, landscaping, etc.
- Identify and facilitate RBUFW site improvements, perform minor facilities repair andmaintenance activities and oversee contracted maintenance as necessary
- Support on-site agricultural production, including:o Installandmaintaindripirrigationssystem.
- Engage with farm visitors and Rainier Beach community members and partners on a day-to-day basis.
- Support production and land management programming, including a Youth Employment Program and working with youth as necessary.
- Help coordinate volunteer activities on-site and lead volunteer groups as necessary.
- Help plan, organize and run on-site events.
- Meet regularly with staff and community members to facilitate and coordinate use of the site,stock supplies, ensure site specific needs are being met, and implement appropriate safetyregulations.
- Perform all necessary administrative functions including responding to RBUFW voicemailmessages
- Communicate with the Parks Department regarding site related issues and needs.
- Implement data management protocols and prepare annual Public Benefits Report for the site.
- Attend staff meetings, speak publicly on behalf of Tilth Alliance, and support events and other duties related to being a member of the Tilth Alliance staff.
- Contribute to an inclusive working environment for staff, volunteers and partners and advance equity and inclusion in the organization and in community partnerships.Desired Qualifications and Attributes:
- Landscaping and horticultural experience.
- Experience with agricultural production, particularly in community-based settings
- Experience working with youth, especially in an outdoor setting.
- Experience working with volunteers, community members and engaging with the public
- Proficiency with the use, repair and maintenance of tools and equipment used on site, includinga rotary tiller/ walk behind tractor, gas powered lawn mower, and weed whacker.
- Self-directed, able to work independently and in a team and follow through on deadlines.
- Strong computer, organizational and time management skills; proficiency in Microsoft Officesuite.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability and success working with people from a variety of racial, cultural andeconomic backgrounds, with various lifestyles and sexual orientations.
- Ability and willingness to occasionally work evenings and weekends for program activities.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and crouch, lean, and kneel for extended periods of time.
- Valid drivers’ license.This is a full-time, exempt position. The typical work week will be Monday - Friday, with occasional weekends and weeknights, and the opportunity for flexible scheduling. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401K, paid time-off and sick leave. This position is based at the Rainier Beach Urban Farm and Wetlands in South Seattle. Compensation is $50,000 annually.To Apply:Please submit a cover letter and a copy of your resume to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, with those received by November 23, 2020 given initial preference.
Tilth Alliance is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to cultivating a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that diversity is essential to achieving our mission. Tilth Alliance is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Women, people of color, and individuals from under-represented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.