The Environmental movement in Rainier Beach can serve as a catalyst in the revitalization of our neighborhood if coordinated in an effective and effecient manner.
One of the projects at the center of movement is The Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands Project. It is a community led and community bred effort to establish an Urban Farm in the heart of the Rainier Beach Community at the former Atlantic City Nursery site located at 5513 South Cloverdale Street in Southeast Seattle. The Atlantic City Nursery is a former nursery ran by the City of Seattle’s Parks & Recreation Department. The closing and relocation of the Park’s operations, has created an opportunity for the neighborhood to help shape the future use of this park property.
The Friends of Atlantic City Nursery formed out of community interest to create a local source for fresh produce, community gardening, economic development and training opportunities for area residents and youth. The RB Urban Farm & Wetlands Project will serve as an innovative effort to build community pride and preservation of the area wetlands and the environment.
“Healthy food grown right here in Rainier Beach is now a real possiblity — and you can be a part of making it happen.” Come out to learn more about the current efforts underway, ask questions and provide your input. Invite your neighbors and friends and be a part of the growth that you want to see!
Sponsored by: Friends of Atlantic City Nursery
Hosted by: Rainier Beach Empowerment Coalition
Where: Rainier Beach Family Center operated by Atlantic Street Center (in RB Community Center, at reception desk make a left, follow signs)
Parking available at Bank of America across Henderson
For more information, contact: Yalonda Gill Masundire, Community Outreach, Chair at 206 371-8202 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Environment Oriented Projects
These projects will be introduced at the March ATM
- Got Green 2010 Kickoff, March 17th, 6 pm, Southside Commons 3518 S. Edmunds St, 206.290.5136 or email@example.com, www.gotgreen.org
- Rainier Beach Learning Garden Design Session March 23th, 6 pm, South Shore School, 206.619.5196 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bridge to Beach – Cleanup from I-90 to Rainier Beach, April 24th, 9 am, 206.322.6134 or email@example.com
- Rainier Beach Neighborhood Scorecard developed by Sustatinable Seattle
- Natural Yard Care Classess, April 21, May 5, May 19th, 7 pm, Emerson Elementary School, 206.633.0224
- Mapes Creek/52nd Avenue Walk Way
- Rainier Beach Parks, Green Spaces and Cultural Plan