As a young girl in Ethiopia, I was proud of the small family farm we had. My young self...
Category: Food Innovation District
FOOD INNOVATION DISTRICT
Historically, Rainier Beach has always been a welcoming neighborhood with an emphasis on health and well-being, a place many people have come to call home.
Today, the economic pressure and risk of displacement is greater than ever on Rainier Beach residents. The lack of opportunities is highlighted by disparities across the City and there is a need for more equitable development.
WHY FOOD INNOVATION?
Back in 2012, the Rainier Beach residents came together around a renewed neighborhood plan with a vision at the center of which Food acted as a catalyst for neighborhood identity, cultural diversity and heritage, health and job creation.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
The concept of the RB FID clusters manufacturing, technology, and food sectors around the light rail station to provide access to career-path living-wage jobs, strengthening the local economy through production rather than consumption.
In addition, the RB FID will leverage transit to support community stability and economic mobility, improve access to education, employment and entrepreneurship, while maximizing the use of this unique station location at the intersection of the manufacturing / industrial area that extends to South King County, and the residential neighborhood of Rainier Beach. The RB FID is intended to spark catalytic development around the Rainier Beach light rail station.
WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT?
Local food innovation (growing, production and distribution) is projected to be a top ten growth industry over the next decade. The demand for locally grown and produced food is growing. Jobs are an anti-displacement strategy.
“To grow a thriving cultural community with equitable access to economic opportunity and affordable healthy food.”
RBAC is hiring!!!
We have several exciting opportunities to join RBAC's growing Food Justice Team!
See links below for full Job Descriptions
RBAC_Food-Innovation-Center-Director_Job-Description-190301.pdf (128 downloads) RBAC_Food-Hub-Manager_Job-Description-190301-1.pdf (105 downloads) RBAC_Food-Justice-Organizer_Job-Description_190301-1.pdf (113 downloads)
FreshLo Planning Grant
- Communities of Opportunity
- Friends of Rainier Beach Urban Farm & Wetlands
- Healthy Creations
- King County Emergency Feeding Program
- Kresge Foundation
- Office of Planning & Community Development (OPCD)
- Office of Sustainability & Environment (OSE)
- Office of Economic Development (OED)
- Puget Sound Sage
- Rainier Beach High School
- Rainier Beach Merchants Association
- Rainier Valley Food Bank
- Restaurant Opportunities Center (Seattle ROCUnited)
- Roots of All Roads (ROAR)
- Seattle Farm Coop
- Seattle Parks & Recreation
- SouthEast Effective Development (SEED)
- Tilth Alliance
Food Innovation District Resource Library
Featured files are listed under each category. See the full download library for all files.
- RB Urban Farm Programming Input Report (214 downloads)
- RB Innovation Zone VIA Analysis (157 downloads)
- FID Presentation (310 downloads)
- FID Handout (268 downloads)
- FID 2-Pager (261 downloads)
- FID Speaking Points (187 downloads)
- FID Description (185 downloads)
- FID Brochure (169 downloads)
- FID 1-pager final (241 downloads)
- Press Release - RB Farm & Food Hub Launch (178 downloads)
- Corner Greeter Recipe Activity (160 downloads)
- Case Study Boards (189 downloads)
- 2012 Rainier Beach Design Plans (262 downloads)
- UW Foster Report (194 downloads)
- Seattle Food Action Plan (240 downloads)
- Reconnecting Roots (332 downloads)
- Rainier Beach Gateway (246 downloads)
- Development Strategy RBID J Rose Comp (178 downloads)
- NODES and NETWORKS 2011 (324 downloads)
- Evans Paper - Kitchen Incubator Analysis (265 downloads)
- EACS RaVE Needs Assessment June 2012 (194 downloads)
- Community Driven Economic Development 2010 (316 downloads)
- Small Business Tech Asst Presrv Diversity 2010 (187 downloads)
- Healthy Living Assessment Pilot RB 2011 (199 downloads)
- Mixed Use Alternative RB Economic Development Plan 2010 (280 downloads)
- Do For Self 2014 (279 downloads)
- ACT RBFID Case Statement FINAL (318 downloads)
- 2015 King County Local Food Report (394 downloads)
- 170324 RB FID Business Canvas (187 downloads)
- 170324-March 2017 RB FID Parners' Meeting Notes (225 downloads)
- 170324-March 2017 RB FID Partners' Meeting Agenda (223 downloads)
- 161201-FID Partners Meeting Notes, November/December 2016 (142 downloads)
- 161201-FID Partners Meeting Agenda, November/December 2016 (183 downloads)
- 161028-FID Partners Meeting Notes, October 2016 (167 downloads)
- 161028-FID Partners Meeting Agenda, October 2016 (204 downloads)
- 160930-FID Partners Meeting Notes, September 2016 (169 downloads)
- 160930-FID Partners Meeting Agenda, September 2016 (170 downloads)
- 160829-FID Partners Meeting Notes, August 2016 (503 downloads)
- 160829-FID Partners Meeting Agenda, August 2016 (682 downloads)
- 160729-FID Partners Meeting Notes July 2016 (498 downloads)
- 160729-FID Partners Agenda July 2016 (714 downloads)