Visit the SE Seattle FreedomNet Web site for complete information and updates on this project.
SE Seattle FreedomNet is a special, youth-focused project under Lift Every Voice. Similar to Lift Every Voice, FreedomNet will recruit, train, and support a group of 20 youth as citizen journalists in setting up and managing an online information commons and broadening awareness of local leadership and initiative through the following channels and activities:
- A dedicated FreedomNet blog for publishing the various products created by participants, including articles, feature stories, photo essays, video clips, poetry, and other media expressions focused on social justice and community building.
- They will conduct a Photo Voice project on community assets that support education, including the production of a printed [and online] gallery and gallery showing.
- They will regularly contribute to the Rainier Beach News Wire, through the posting of near-real-time headlines highlighting local victories, milestones, and learnings from a network of 50 or more individuals and organizations most directly engaged in social justice and community building
- They will maintain and regularly update an online map plotting acts of social justice and community building across the neighborhood
- They will periodically review and publish “On the Radar” summaries of key events and activities to encourage broader awareness and opportunities for collaboration
- They will also post guest articles and comments to other major Web sites and blogs serving the community.
- At the end of the project, participants will host an award ceremony to recognize individuals and organizations who have made unique contributions to social justice and community building across the neighborhood