Are you capable of creating systems and processes that increase efficiency? Do you have an effective system to keep track of all kinds of tiny details? Do you want to have experience being on the cutting edge of equity and neighborhood engagement work and making a significant impact? RBAC is looking for someone to direct its operations and fit its organizational culture. The Operations Director will play a vital role on the team, managing human resources, finance, risk assessment, and other aspects of RBAC’s internal operations.
RBAC has established neighborhood engagement and empowerment as its main purpose and devised an approach by using 4 core Action Areas to organize the myriad of activities impacting the Rainier Beach neighborhood: A Place for Everyone (Housing, Transit Justice, Economic Development), Life Long Learning (Education & Family Life), Growing Food to Develop a Healthy Industry (Food Justice, Farms/Gardens, Environmental Justice), A Beautiful Safe Place (Art and Public Safety). RBAC’s programming, partnership, and coalition work has enabled the organization to reach beyond the boundaries of the neighborhood and form allyships to organize behind issues affecting the black, indigenous people of color who live, work, play, pray and shop in the Rainier Beach neighborhood and positively impact their well-being.
REPORTS TO: Managing Strategist
Human Resources Lead
- Run bi-monthly payroll
- Manage employee benefits, by keeping online platforms updated, coordinating with benefits broker, and researching improvements
- Manage human resources, improving HR policies processes to better support staff and align with organizational values
- Act as point person for questions and training regarding HR across the organization
- Ensure that there is a healthy office climate, coordinating office morale activities and facilitating conflict resolution using action team structures e.g., Smooth Operations Action Team
- Engage in recruiting activities developing deep community networks to proactively reach out to strong candidates and researching methods to reach diverse candidates
- Manage and implement GAAP accounting and bookkeeping procedures
- Administer accounts payable and accounts receivable in a timely manner
- Manage federal, state and local tax filing and reporting
- Manage Audit and 990 preparations including the management of external relationships with CPA firm ● Manage the annual budget process, providing support to other staff in developing budgets
- Oversee organizational and office operations
- Ensure that all licensing and legal paperwork with local and national government agencies is properly filed and updated annually
- Ensure that insurance policies and risk management practices are being properly followed across the organization ● Supervise the Project Specialist who provides administrative support to primary functions of Operations Director
- Capable of being committed to Rainier Beach Action Coalition’s mission, values, and culture ● 5 years of experience working in communities of color and grassroots organizations
- Minimum 2 years of experience managing operations and finances of a neighborhood-based, non-profit organization, with a $1M budget
- Capable of creating and managing systems e.g., communications, supervision, and evaluations, that improve effectiveness and efficiency
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to develop trusting relationships with diverse individuals from many different backgrounds including age, ethnicity, culture, faith, household type, and education
- Passion for working in the nonprofit sector
- Comfort with computers, a variety of online platforms, and Google Suite.
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Lifelong learner
- Able to work some evenings and weekends
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time, non-exempt position, with a salary range of $60,000-$80,000. Salary offer will be dependent on experience.
- We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with the true hours worked. ● We provide 23 days of Paid Time Off, 11 paid holidays, and a flexible, family-friendly schedule. ● We provide medical (HMO and PPO options), dental, vision with RBAC covering over 90% of the costs of the insurance package.
Our Hiring Process & Timeline: Interviews to occur on a rolling basis, desired start date October 16, 2020
- We will read your cover letter first; it’s important to understand whether this is the right fit for you. In your cover letter, please be sure to tell us why you are interested in this particular job and what makes you a strong candidate. ● We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- We will begin by scheduling phone interviews, followed by in-person one-hour interviews.
- If you are invited for an in-person interview, we will ask for two work samples relevant to this position, i.e., a process you created, a writing sample, or other relevant materials. The next step would be a second-round one-hour interview
RBAC is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, especially those from Southeast Seattle, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions call 206.914.1762 and leave a message. For images go to www.rbcoalition.org, for context read the Rainier Beach Neighborhood Plan Update