What Do Parents Want in Southend Schools?
To make our public schools in south and southeast Seattle the quality neighborhood schools we want them to be, Communities and Parents for Public Schools Seattle (CPPS) Southeast parents are organizing outreach and training for parent leadership and advocacy in the Aki Kurose and Mercer Middle School feeder patterns.
This project offers opportunity for community members to share their perspectives on schooling in these neighborhoods, to tell about their own experiences and desires for their children, AND to develop a collective advocacy voice for the changes they need.
- Event: SE Parent Leadership Project Kickoff
- Date: Tuesday, October 19
- Time: 7pm
- Location: Mercer Middle School 1600 Columbian Way (enter the parking lot from westbound Columbian Way)
Join us on Tuesday to talk about:
- a community video to tell our schools’ stories
- parent leadership and advocacy training
- to meet YOUR needs
- a parents’ agenda for quality neighborhood schools
Can’t make the meeting but have a story to tell? Contact Andre Canty or Cris Fernandez.
To join the SE Parent Network list, contact Stephanie Jones
We hope to see you there! Together, we can advocate for the quality education our children deserve!
Through forums, study groups, newsletter communications and more, CPPS brings parents and community members together to discuss issues, get informed, engage, advocate and lead for excellent public education in Seattle.
We need your participation. Contact us for more information
URGENT LAST-MINUTE TRAFFIC ALERT
We have just received word that that Columbian Way is going to be more difficult than usual tomorrow night. The eastbound lanes are going to be closed in front of the school,starting at 6pm; Only one westbound lane will be open and it will likely be slow. Allow plenty of travel time. If you can take the freeway or get onto Beacon Hill from north of the school, you can go this way:
- Get on 15th Ave S. heading south (if you came from I-5, you just got off the Columbian Way exit, Columbian Way turns into 15th at the first light)
- From 15th turn left on Dakota Street.
- Turn right at the end of the block, go about 2 blocks
- Park in the bus load zone behind the school.
- Make your way on foot around to the other side of the building, enter the school at the covered walkway.
Apologies for the last minute alert — we hope to see many of you tomorrow night!